Aloo ko achar is a famous Nepali dish. Aloo ko achar means potato pickle. It's a kind of instant potato pickle or potato salad where boiled potato pieces are mixed with different spices and served as a snack or as a side dish with main course.
For the first time I tasted this Nepali style potato salad in a picnic lunch few years back. The dish is also known as Nepali chutney in my place. I liked the taste very much and so we kept that item in the menu of my brother's marriage party later.
The recipe is actually very simple. Boiled potatoes are peeled, chopped and then mixed with roasted black sesame seeds and other spices. Some also add sliced onion, cucumber and reddish. But I have added only onion here. I also added boiled chickpeas. Check the recipe below :
Nepali Style Potato Salad Recipe | Aloo Ko Achar
📎Course : Snack / Side Dish
📎Cuisine : Nepali
🔪Preparation Time : 10 minutes
♨Cooking Time : 15 minutes
🕞Total : 25 minutes
🍴Servings : 2
- 2 potatoes
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 green chillies, cut into two pieces lengthwise
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- Pinch of fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder or chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Boil potatoes in a pressure cooker. Peel and make cube sized pieces.
- Boil chickpeas.
- Dry roast black sesame seeds. Grind roughly.
- In a bowl take potato pieces. Add boiled chickpeas. Add sliced onion and green chillies.
- Add cumin powder, red chilli powder, sesame seeds and salt. Mix well.
- Heat 1 tbsp of mustard oil in a pan. Add fenugreek seeds. When fenugreek seeds turn light brown switch off the gas. Pour the oil into the bowl. Mix well.
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves. Mix everything well and serve.