Kulfi is an Indian version of ice cream. The taste of kulfi is similar to ice cream but is more denser and creamier. A frozen desert originated in the 16th century Mughal Empire, the traditional recipe of kulfi is prepared by evaporating sweetened milk until it's volume reduced by half. Flavoured with pistachios and saffron, the sweetened milk is than frozen in kulfi moulds.
The recipe that I am going to share today is not the traditional kulfi recipe but an easy and no cook kulfi recipe.
For kulfi moulds you can use any ice pop moulds. But if you don't have ice pop moulds, you can use paper cups. So let's jump to the recipe now.
Mango Kulfi / Easy and No Cook Indian Summer Frozen Treat
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp cardamon powder
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1 tbsp chopped cashew nuts and pistachios
- Pinch of saffron
- Wash mango and peel. Make small cubes and blend into a smooth puree.
- Now add milk, cream, sugar, condensed milk, cardamon powder, saffron, pistachios and nuts. Blend again into a smooth liquid.
- Transfer the liquid into kulfi moulds. Close the lid and place in the freezer.
- After about 2 hour take out the kulfi moulds from the freezer and stick a ice cream stick in each mould. Again place them in the freezer until set, preferably overnight.