Lofa xaak which is called Chinese mellow in English is one of the gift of winter.
There are many greens available during winter and lofa xaak is one of the most healthiest leafy vegetable loved by Assamese people. Fish and lofa xaak curry is a very tasty fish curry recipe that everyone of my family love to eat. As in every other Assamese masor tenga or Assamese fish curry, in this fish curry also, we need to add a souring agent to make the curry sour. We can add bogori (Zizyphus jujuba), yet another winter special fruit of Assam. But in this recipe I added suka xaak or sorrel leaves, again an another special leafy greens of winter season. Serve this fish curry at lunch or dinner with hot steamed rice and enjoy the goodness of winter.
Fish and Chinese mellow (lofa xaak)
📎Course : Main Course
📎Cuisine : Assamese
🔪Preparation Time : 10 minutes
♨Cooking Time : 25 minutes
🕞Total : 35 minutes
🍴Servings : 2
🍴Servings : 2
- 2 pieces of fish (any)
- 1 bunch of Chinese mellow (lofa xaak)
- 1 cup of chopped sorrel leaves (suka xaak)
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2+1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 2 chopped green chillies
- 2 tbsp of mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Break off the Chinese mellow leaves on its base. Wash under running water and then chopped them. Keep aside.
- Wash fish pieces under running water. Rub with salt and turmeric.
- In a pan heat oil. Fry fish pieces. Drain and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil add fenugreek seeds. When crackling add turmeric powder.
- Add chopped sorrel leaves and Chinese mellow leaves.
- Add chopped green chillies.
- Add salt.
- Mix well and cook for sometimes on medium heat by covering the pan with a lid.
- When the leaves become tender add 1 cup of water. Bring to boil.
- Add fish pieces and on high heat cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with steamed rice.