The Indian carplet (Amblypharyngodon microlepis) also known as mua mach (মোৱা মাছ) in Assamese is a species of carplet in the family Cyprinidae. It's length is about 10 cm long and found in ponds and streams etc. Indian carplet has a very delicious taste but the most difficult part is cleaning the fish as it is very small in size. It's very time consuming too. But as a fish lover I enjoy cleaning these tiny Indian carpets. You can cook Indian carpet in turmeric leaf , make stir fry or you can also make a tasty curry with ginger leaf. But today I am going to share a simple recipe of Indian carplet stir fry with bamboo shoots. Now let's check the recipe below.
Indian Carplet Stir Fry with Bamboo Shoots
📎Course : Main Course
📎Cuisine : Indian (Assamese)
🔪Preparation Time : 20 minutes
♨Cooking Time : 10 minutes
🕞Total : 30 minutes
🍴Servings : 4
🍴Servings : 4
- 150 gms of Indian carplets
- 2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp mustard oil
- 2-3 tbsp fermented bamboo shoots
- 2-3 green chillies, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Clean and then wash Indian carpets under running water. Rub with salt and turmeric.
- In a pan heat oil. Fry sliced onions and chopped green chillies til translucent. Drain and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil fry small Indian catplets carefully. Fry 5-6 fishes at a time. Drain and keep it in one side of the pan. Repeat it until you finish frying all the fishes.
- Be careful in frying the fishes. Don't make dip fry or crispy.
- Once you complete frying all the fishes add fried onions and green chillies.
- Add fermented bamboo shoot.
- Mix everything well carefully as the Indian carplet is very delicate and it may lose its shape.
- Add salt if required.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice.