I generally use sun dried lentil dumpling in red lentil soup which are easily available in markets and it also saves time. But in this recipe I made dumplings myself from urad dal (split black gram). It is very soft and fluffy in comparison to the dried one. Dried one is little hard and you can directly add it to the dal after shallow fried.
Red lentil with sun dried lentil dumpling
Indian red lentil soup with lentil dumplings can also be served as a side dish with rice. It is very easy to prepare as I'm using pressure cooker to cook red lentil. You need to soak split black gram for few hours to make dumplings. The dumplings can be prepared by dip frying instantly after the batter is blended.
Indian Red Lentil Soup with Lentil Dumplings
🔪Preparation Time : 15 minutes
♨Cooking Time : 30 minutes🕞Total : 45 minutes
🍴Servings : 4
For batter -
- 1/2 cup split black gram (urad dal)
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- pinch of cumin, coriander and red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- oil to fry
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 tomato
- 2 cup water
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Soak split black gram for 3-4 hours.
- Rinse and drain then blend into a fine paste. Add all the other ingredients of batter except oil.
- Heat oil in a pan. Take small portions of batter and dip fry them. Drain and keep aside.
- Rinse red lentils under running water. In a pressure cooker pan add red lentil and two cups of water. Add chopped tomatoes. Close cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat. Cook for 2 whistles.
- Remove cooker from heat. Allow to cool naturally.
- In a pan , heat oil on medium heat and roast fenugreek seeds and bay leaves. Add turmaric and salt.
- Pour everything from the cooker into the pan.
- Add dumplings. Bring to boil.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve as a soup or as a side dish with rice.