Fish with modhuxulung, cheery tomatoes and okra
Polygonum microcephalum is a green leafy vegetable found in Assam. It is called 'modhuxulung' in Assamese . It is sour in taste specially used in making tangy dal and tangy fish curries. Many other dishes can also be made by using modhuxuleng. Assamese people are fish lovers and fish curry with modhuxuleng is a very loved and common dish made by almost every household in Assam.
Cheery Tomatoes in Assamese called Kon Bilahi. Cheery tomatoes are bit-sized tomatoes with lots of health benefits. Cheery tomatoes can grow easily and ripen early during summer. It's low in calorie and rich in fiber, potassium and antioxidants.
In this fish recipe I am using red gram (masoor dal) to make the gravy thicker. I have also added okra in this recipe just to increase the taste of this dish.
The recipe of Fish with modhuxulung, cheery tomatoes and okra
- 2 medium sized fish cut into 2 pieces or 4 pieces of any big fish
- 4-6 lady fingers/okra
- 2 tbsp red gram(masoor dal)
- 1 bunch of modhuxuleng
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 10-12 cheery tomatoes
- 1/2 +1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- mustard oil as required to fry fish pieces
- Salt to taste
Method of cooking
- Wash modhuxuleng under running water and chopped roughly. Rinse red gram. In a pressure cooker add red gram, modhuxulung, chopped green chillies and 2 cups of water. Close the cooker and cook for 2-3 whistles on high heat. Remove from heat .Let the cooker open itself.
- Wash fish pieces under running water and rub with 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder and salt. In a pan heat oil. Fry fish pieces. Drain and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil add fenugreek seeds. When cracking add turmeric powder. Now open cooker and pour everything into the pan. Add salt.
- Cut both ends of okra and put into the pan. Add fried fish pieces. Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes untill okra becomes soft and cooked.
- Remove from heat. Serve as a side dish with rice.