Green tomatoes chutney with mustard seeds paste :
- 2 green tomatoes
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1/3 tbsp nigella seeds ( Kala jeera)
- 1/3 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/3 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/3 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1-2 tbsp mustard oil
- little chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- Soak yellow mustard seeds in warm water for at least half an hour. Drain and make a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Wash green tomatoes under running water .
- Chop roughly.
- In a pan heat mustard oil. Add bay leaf and nigella seeds. When crackling add turmeric powder.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Cook until oil separates.
- Add cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well. Add whole green chillies .
- Add mustard seeds paste and 1/4 cup of water. Cook on high heat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Remove from heat. Serve with rice.
Assamese style raw tomatoes or green tomatoes chutney : ( কেচা বিলাহীৰ পূৰা পিটিকা)
- 1-2 green tomatoes
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 little piece of ginger finely chopped
- 2 green chillies • chopped coriander leaves / chopped culantro (মান ধনিয়া)
- salt to taste
- Grill or smoke raw tomatoes and green chillies on fire. You can do it on your gas stove also.
- Remove the black skin of the grilled tomatoes with the help of a sharp knife.
- Finely chopped the tomatoes and chillies. Add chopped onions and ginger. Add salt. Add chopped culantro. Mix well. You can also use mortar and pestle for this purpose. ( খুন্দনা)
- Serve it as a chutney with rice.