Anguli pitha is a finger shaped recipe made from rice flour. The Assamese word 'anguli' means fingers and 'pitha' is a type of rice cake. It's an Assamese style recipe that can be served as breakfast(jolpan) or as a snack with the evening cup of tea.
The recipe anguli pitha requires little time to prepare. As today is Sunday, a holiday, I decided to prepare this recipe for breakfast. It's a very simple and less spicy recipe. This recipe that I am going to share is a salty one but there is one sweeter version of this anguli pitha recipe, which I will share some other day. The type of rice that I am using is called 'lahi chawl' in Assamese which I received from my maternal uncle who is a farmer and he grows rice on his own paddy field. You can use any other type of rice also. You can also use ready-made rice flour available in the market. But I preferred to make it myself and therefore I soaked 1 cup of rice on Saturday night to prepare anguli pitha.
If you love Assamese recipes and want to try one simple Assamese style breakfast recipe then try Assamese doi chira recipe. It's very simple yet healthy and delicious that requires no cooking.
Assamese Anguli Pitha Recipe
📎Course : snack/breakfast
📎Cuisine : Indian/Assamese
🔪Preparation Time : 1 hour + (require overnight soaking time for rice)
♨Cooking Time : 15 minutes
🕞Total : 45 minutes
🍴Servings : 3
🍴Servings : 3
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 tbsp + 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/3 cup Warm water or as required for making dough
- 1/2 cup chopped vegetables (carrot, French beans, cabbage etc.)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Soak 1 cup of rice for 4 hours or overnight.
- Next morning, rinse rice and wash them thoroughly. drain and keep aside until the water from the rice drain completely.
- Take the soaked rice in a grinder jar and grind it finely.
- Now take out the rice flour in a large bowl.
- Add pinch of salt and 1/2 tbsp of oil. Mix well.
- Now add warm water make dough just like you make dough for making chapatis or bread.
- Make thin and long finger shaped rolls from the dough.
- Boil water in a large pan and put the finger shaped rolls and cook for just 2 minutes. You can also use a steamer and steam those finger shaped rolls for 4-5 minutes.
- Immediately take out the rolls from water and drain so that they don't stick to one another.
- Now in a pan heat oil. Add chopped onions. Fry till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, fry till oil separates.
- Add chopped vegetables. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add salt and cook until the vegetables become tender.
- Now add the finger shaped rice rolls. Mix the rolls with vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.