Bottle gourd (Lagenaria siceraria) most commonly known as Lau in Assamese is a vine cultivated for its fruit which is consumed as a vegetable. Bottle gourd is also known as calabash, white-flowered gourd, long melon, New Guinea bean or Tasmania bean in different parts of the world. The young bottle gourd has light green coloured skin and white flesh inside. The young bottle gourd is used as a vegetable. Bottle gourd is harvested mature to be dried and used as a utensil specially in rural areas. These dried bottle gourd are used to store food items like salt, dry fish etc.
Bottle gourd is considered as one of the most healthiest vegetable that contains high water content (about 92%) and is a rich source of vitamin C, K and calcium. Bottle gourd is low in saturated fat and hence helps lower down bad cholesterol level.
Calabash or bottle gourd are found in variety of shapes. Rounder varieties are called calabash and long bottle shaped varieties are called bottle gourd. In India, bottle gourd is a very popular common vegetable specially during summer. Fresh bottle gourd juice is considered as an amazing juice for weight loss.
Either cooked or juiced, bottle gourd has some amazing health benefits.
- Bottle gourd is rich in dietary fiber and hence good for constipation and digestion.
- The water content of bottle gourd can provide a cooling impact on the body and can help in reducing stress.
- Drinking bottle gourd juice everyday can help reduce weight.
- Fresh bottle gourd juice can act as a natural cleanser and can remove toxins from the body.
- Bottle gourd helps in regulation of blood pressure and can prevent the risk of heart disease.
Try 5 Easy Bottle gourd Recipes :