For making Stir fried water spinach tender shoots of water spinach are collected. Pick from the tip, as that part of water spinach are more soft and tender. The recipe is very simple and easy. I have added potatoes with this. But if you don't like potatoes, no need to add potatoes.
Water spinach contains lots of vitamins and minerals. It is also very low in calories and hence consuming water spinach is beneficial for health.
Water spinach has pink flowers which are very beautiful.
Stir Fried Water Spinach | Assamese Style Kolmou Bhaji
- 1 bunch of tender water spinach stems with leaves
- 1 potato
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (whole or minced)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- salt to taste
- Wash water spinach stems with leaves under running water.
- Cut off the hard stems. Discard the leaves that have spots or turned yellow.
- Roughly chop the water spinach leaves and cut the stems in 1" long.
- Peel potato and cut into pieces.
- In a pan heat oil. Add chopped garlic. When crackling add turmeric powder.
- Add potato pieces. Fry for 4-6 minutes.
- Add chopped green chillies and chopped water spinach stems with leaves.
- Add salt.
- Cook till potatoes, water spinach leaves and stems become soft and tender by covering the pan in low heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve as a side dish with steamed rice.