Tender pumpkin greens cooked with mustard seeds is very delicious and is served as a side dish with rice. Try this recipe as it's very healthy too as pumpkin leaves contains iron, protein, calcium, vitamin A and vitamin C. The pumpkin leaves are picked from the tip (rongalaur aag) because that part is more soft and tender.
* If you don't like to add mustard seeds then cook pumpkin leaves without adding mustard seeds. Get the recipe here> Stir fried pumpkin leaves
Xoriyoh Diya Rongalau Agg (Pumpkin Greens with Mustard Seeds)
- 1 bunch of tender pumpkin leaves picked from the tip with stems
- 1 potato
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp of panch phoron
- 1/2 tsp if turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- Wash pumpkin leaves with stems under running water.
- With the help of a sharp knife gently remove the thorns.
- Roughly chop the pumpkin leaves and cut the stems in 2" long.
- Soak yellow mustard seeds in warm water for 10 minutes. Drain and make a fine paste.
- Peel potato and cut into 2" long shaped thin pieces
- In a pan heat oil. Add chopped garlic and panch phoron. When crackling add turmeric powder.
- Add potato pieces and pumpkin stems first. Fry for 2-3 minutes as pumpkin stems may require more time to cook than its leaves .
- Add chopped green chillies and chopped pumpkin leaves.
- Add salt.
- Cook till potatoes, pumpkin leaves and stems become soft and tender by covering the pan in low heat.
- Add mustard seeds paste. Mix well. Sprinkle few drops of water and cook for few more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve as a side dish with steamed rice.