Fish and Roselle leaves curry is an easy and tasty Assamese style sour fish curry recipe (মাছৰ টেঙা). Roselle leaves (Tenga mora / টেঙা মৰা ) contains many vitamins and minerals and high dietary fiber. In Assam it's widely available during summer. Eating sour fish curry in lunch or dinner is a good idea during summer to beat the hot and humid weather in Assam. You can prepare this fish curry by using only roselle leaves. But I have added red lentils to make the curry thicker. We don't use spices in making sour fish curries. But if you like to make it spicy, add spices according to your taste.
Fish and Roselle leaves curry
📎Course : Main Course
📎Cuisine : Indian(Assamese)
🔪Preparation Time : 5 minutes
♨Cooking Time : 20
🕞Total : 25 minutes
🍴Servings : 2
🍴Servings : 2
- 2 pieces of fish (any)
- 1 bunch roselle leaves
- 2 tbsp red lentil
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 + 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Here you can use any fish. I'm using bhangan fish. Clean the fishes and throw it's intestine part. Wash under running water.
- Rub fish pieces with 1/2 tsp of turmeric and salt.
- In a pan heat oil. Fry fish pieces and keep aside. Don't throw the remaining oil.
- In the meantime rinse red lentils.
- Break off the roselle leaves on its base. Wash and chop the leaves.
- In a pressure cooker take red lentils , chopped green chillies and chopped roselle leaves.
- Add 1 cup of water. Close the lid and in high heat cook for two whistles.
- Now heat the remaining oil and add fenugreek seed.
- When crackling add turmeric powder.
- Pour everything from the cooker.
- Bring to boil.
- Add salt
- Add fish pieces.
- Add 1/2 cup more water if required.
- Cook for few minutes on high heat.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice.