Salad is a dish usually made from vegetables and served in small pieces as raw or cooked. A salad can be served during a meal either at the beginning as an appetizer salad or as a side dish. Salad can also be served as a main course but such salad contains food with high protein such as meat, fish or egg. Sweet salads that contains fruits , cream, honey etc. are served after meal as a dessert salad.
We like to have side salads with our meal and the most common side salad dish at our home is tomato, onion, green chillies and ginger salad. Sometimes I add cucumber in it. We don't use olive oil in salads. Instead of olive oil we use mustard oil, as mustard oil can be consumed as raw. We can say mustard oil is the Assamese version of olive oil. But mustard oil has a strong smell and taste which everyone may not like to or able to consume it as raw.
As the season of beetroot, carrot and spinach are on, I tried to make a side salad dish with these vegetables. The colour of this salad dish was so appealing and the taste was also very good. I served them with rice as a side dish. Now let's jump to the ingredients and method of preparation of this salad.
📎Course : Side dish
📎Cuisine : Indian
🔪Preparation Time : 15 minutes
♨Cooking Time : 0
🕞Total : 15 minutes
🍴Servings : 4
🍴Servings : 4
- 1/2 cup finely chopped beetroot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil / mustard oil
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Little chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- In a bowl mix together finely chopped beetroot, finely chopped carrot, chopped spinach and coriander leaves.
- Add pinch of black pepper and salt.
- Squeeze some lemon juice.
- Add olive oil or mustard oil.
- Mix well.
- Serve as a side dish at lunch or dinner.