Try this simple Chicken curry recipe with raw banana and black pepper . An Assamese style chicken curry recipe I often cook in rainy days. Raw banana / Green banana (in Assamese -Kaskol ) is very poular in India as many recipes can be made from raw banana like banana kofta curry, banana pakora , banana chips etc. In Assamese cuisine raw banana is also used to make kaskol pitika( mashed raw banana), Chutney or fish curries together with skunk vine or curry leaves and black pepper. In this Assamese style Chicken curry with raw banana and black pepper, pepper plays an important role in providing the hot taste. So this dish is good to eat during cool rainy days to heat up your body.
CHICKEN WITH RAW BANANA & BLACK PEPPER :
- 350gms of chicken
- 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (or as required)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- 1 big potato
- 1 raw banana
- Salt to taste
- Peel skin of raw banana and cut into big cube sized pieces.
- Peel skin of potato and cut in four pieces
- Cut chicken into pieces. Wash under running water. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil. Add ginger garlic paste and chopped onions. Fry till light golden brown.
- Add chicken pieces. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Potatoes and raw banana pieces.
- Add turmeric, cumin powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well. Again fry for some time until oil separates.
- Add salt.
- Add 2 cups of water. Bring to boil. Then cover the lid. Cook until potatoes, raw banana and chicken pieces become soft. Add more water if required. Stir occasionally .
- Add garam masala and black pepper 5 minutes before removing from heat.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.