Kumol Saul is a magical rice of Assam which can be eaten without cooking. Kumol Saul is an instant rice which requires no cooking . It is rendered fluffy and can be consumed just after soaking in water for few minutes. Kumol Saul is made from Bora Saul (Sticky rice) by soaking over night and then boiling and sun-drying.
Kumol Saul is prepared usually in the month of Bihu festival. It is usually served as a Jolpan with yougurt/curd and jaggery.
Kumol Saul with yogurt and jaggery
Kumol Saul pulao is a simple recipe which I experimented last Sunday and it turned out really good. As kumol saul is prepared from sticky rice, this dish become sticky to some degree after cooking. So serve it hot immediately after cooking. Because once it cools the stickiness will increase and it will taste bad. Serve with a hot cup of tea for better taste.
The Recipe of Kumol Saul pulao :
Kumol Saul pulao
- 1 cup kumol saul
- 2 eggs (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped vegetables (bean, carrot, capsicum etc.)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 small piece of ginger finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Rinse Kumol saul under running water for 3-4 time. Drain and keep aside in a large bowl for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the kumol saul will become soft as it absorbs the remaining water.
- In the meantime you chop the vegetables.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. Add salt.
- In a pan heat oil. Pour in beaten eggs and make a good omelet. Drain and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil add chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Fry till translucent.
- Add chopped vegetables, green chillies and salt. In medium heat cook till vegetable cooked.
- Add kumol saul and tomato puree. Mix well.
- With a knife make pieces of the omelet and mix it to the pan.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with a hot cup of tea.