Pointed gourd or in Assamese potol is a very common vegetable in summer. I make potol fry everyday as my daughter likes it very much. Pointed gourd with pumpkin gravy is a simple recipe which can be served as a side dish with rice or roti.
- 4 Pointed gourds
- 2/3 cup pumpkin cubes
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1 small piece of cinnamon
- 2 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tbp coriander powder
- 1/2 tblsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
SERVE : 2
PREPARATION TIME: 25 minutes
COOKING TIME : 20 minutes
TOTAL : 45 minutes
- Wash pointed gourd under running water and cut its both the ends.
- In a pressure cooker boil pointed gourd for two whistles.
- Drain and keep the Pointed gourds aside.
- In a blender jar take pumpkin cubes, grated coconut, green chillies, chopped onions and tomatoes. Blend it in a smooth paste.
- Rub pointed gourds with salt and turmeric.
- In a pan heat oil. Fry pointed gourds. Keep aside.
- In the remaining oil add cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Add the paste from the blender jar.
- Now add cumin powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Mix well. Saute and add pointed gourds.
- Add some water. Add salt and garam masala. Mix well and close the lid. Cook for five minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot with roti.