Mustard green is a green leafy vegetable. I love its taste. Its little bitter but it taste good once cooked. Many recipes can be made with this beautiful green leafy vegetable. Fish with mustard greens, mustard greens stir fry, mustard green raw chutney, boiled mustard greens are some of the mustard greens recipes.
Pork with mustard greens is a very special recipe of Assam. Use full grown mature and soft mustard green leaves only. This recipe is very simple and very less spices are used. Assamese cuisine is in fact less spicy compared to other Indian cuisines. Pork with mustard greens is served as a side dish with rice. Assam is a rice eating state and Assamese generally eat rice at lunch and dinner. So this pork recipe can be served at lunch and dinner with steamed rice. But some people don't like to have leafy vegetables at night. So for them serve at lunch only.
Pork with mustard greens (Lai xaak)
📎Course : Main course
📎Cuisine : Indian (Assamese)
🔪Preparation Time : 15 minutes
♨Cooking Time : 30 minutes
🕞Total : 45 minutes
🍴Servings : 2
🍴Servings : 2
- 500 gms pork
- 6-7 big mature leaves of mustard greens
- 1 small ghost chilli ( you can use any other chillies also)
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut pork into cube sized pieces. Wash under running water.
- In a pressure cooker boil pork for 2 whistles. Drain water and keep the pork pieces aside.
- Wash mustard greens leaves under running water. Chop roughly. Chop ghost chilli roughly.
- In a pan heat oil. Add ginger-garlic paste. Add chopped onions. Fry till light golden brown. Add turmeric. Stir and add pork pieces.
- Stir and fry for 2-3 minutes. Now add mustard greens. Mix and cook under medium heat by covering the pan with a lid.
- When the water in mustard greens absorbed completely add salt and chopped chillies. Mix well
- Cook for few minutes until mustard greens cooked.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot.