The sourcfes of red ants are big tree specially mango tree or jackfruit tree. The mango tree is considered as the best souce. The ants together with their white coloured eggs are collected to consume. The taste of ants are sour. So if you do not like too sour, just throw the ants from the eggs before cooking.
Red ant is good for nutritional point of view. As it contains much more proteins, iron, calcium and vitamin B12. Consuming red ant can help us in many ways such as it can protect us from water borne diseases like malaria, jaundice etc. It's also good for eye, heart, brain and nervous system. May be because of these properties red ant and eggs are consumed during spring and at the peak of summer to protect us form such diseases.
The recipe of red ant eggs is a simple one. Here it is.
Amroli poruar tup | Red ant eggsINGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup red ant eggs
- 1 onion chopped
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp muatard oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash red ant eggs together with ants under running water. If you don't like to much sour, remove the ants from the eggs before cooking. But I am using some ants with eggs and not removed all the ants because I like it that way.
- In a pan heat oil. Add chopped onions. Fry till golden brown.
- Add red ant eggs.
- Add turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Stir and fry.
- Add green chillies and salt. Cook for 5 munutes by covering the pan in low heat.
- Add garam masala and after 2 mintues of mixing and frying, remove from heat. Serve hot.
- You can serve it as a starter or as a side dish with rice.