Upma is a South Indian dish. Vermicelli (in Assamese savyoi) upma is a very tasty recipe. It can be served as a breakfast dish but I like to have it in the evening with a cup of tea. In South Indian style curry leaves and black mustard seeds is very essential in making upma recipes.
- 1 cup vermicelli
- 1/4 cup chopped french beens
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast vermicelli on a medium heat until they turns golden colour. Immediately transfer into a plate. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil. Add mustard seeds. When crackling add onions. Fry until golden brown. Add curry leaves. Add chopped beens, carrots and peas. Fry and add cumin powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder . Fry for few minutes. Add salt and tomato sauce.
- Now add roasted vermicelli. Stir well to prevent lumps. Add 1 cup of water. Bring to boil. Add garam masala and coriander leaves. Cook until water absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Let it to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- The vermicelli upma is ready to serve.