Thekera is a magical fruit found in Assam. Its English name, perhaps the botanicals name is Garcinia pedinculata. It's taste is very tangy. The ripe fruit can be eat as raw, but it's very tangy. Generally used in making lentil soup or sour fish curry. The ripe or raw fruit is sliced, sun-dried and preserved in bottles.
Bor Thekera fruit
sun dried thekera slices
There is a wide use of this fruit in Assamese cuisine. It is used to make Kahudi or Pani tenga. A sweet and sour chutney can be make form this fruit. And the fish curry of course is very tasty and mouth watering.
Sour fish curry ( with Garcinia pedunculata) |Thekera aru masor tenga
📎Course : Main Course
📎Cuisine : Indian/ Assamese
🔪Preparation Time : 5 minutes
♨Cooking Time : 25 minutes
🕞Total : 30 minutes
🍴Servings : 2
🍴Servings : 2
- 4 pieces of fish (any)
- Some dried thekara or garcenia
- 1 potato
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2+1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- For garnishing chopped coriander leaves
- Boil potato. Peel off it's skin and mashed it properly . Keep aside.
- Wash fish pieces under running water and rub with turmeric powder and salt.
- In a bowl take some dried garcinia. Add 1 cup of lukewarm water. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- In a pan heat oil. Fry the fish pieces. Drain and keep the fried fish pieces aside.
- In the remaining oil add fenugreek seeds. When crackling add chopped green chilies. Add mashed potatoes. Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Now add garcenia pulp together with dried pieces. Add sugar. Add 1 cup of water. Bring to boil.
- Add fish pieces and cook for some time.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot with rice.