Phlogocanthus thyrsiflorus or (তিতা ফুল) titaphool/ (ৰঙাবাহক) rongabasak in Assamese is a small shrub with large leaves and red coloured flowers. The red coloured flowers are edible and little bitter in taste. It is generally used as a medicinal shrub in treating cough, stomach ache, wounds etc.
Yesterday my husband bought some titaphool together with some baby potatoes from the market. So I decided to cook this simple stir fried baby potatoes with titaphool recipe. But before that I asked for different recipes of titaphool in my facebook group (a foodies and recipe sharing group). Among different recipe suggestions from the group members, what I came to know that titaphool khar and fish intestines with titaphool bhaji are quite popular dishes.
I soaked some baby potatoes in cold water in a bowl and went to my daughter's school to bring her back to home. It took 20 minutes. After I come back from school, I soaked some titaphool flowers in cold water and with the help of a sharp knife peeled the potatoes. It becomes easier to peel the baby potatoes as because I soaked them in water for few minutes. But you no need to soak for 20 minutes. 5-10 minutes is enough. Now before I proceed to the method of cooking let's check the ingredients first.
Stir Fried Baby Potatoes with Titaphool
📎Course : Side dish
📎Cuisine : Assamese(Indian)
🔪Preparation Time : 20 minutes
♨Cooking Time : 15 minutes
🕞Total : 15 minutes
🍴Servings : 2
🍴Servings : 2
- 1 cup baby potatoes
- 1/4 cup titaphool
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/3 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/3 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- salt to taste
- Soak baby potatoes and titaphool flowers in cold water in two separate bowls for 10 minutes.
- Wash and drain titaphool . Keep aside.
- Now peel the skin of the baby potatoes. Make two parts of each patoes . Wash and keep aside.
- In a pan heat mustard oil. Add chopped onions. Fry till translucent.
- Add turmeric powder. Add pieces of baby potatoes. Add salt and stir fry for few minutes until they become soft and tender.
- Now add titaphool flowers. Add red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot with steamed rice as a side dish.