Got extra carrots? Here is a tasty Indian style carrot pickle recipe.
Pickling is an art. Pickling is a process by which fish, meat or vegetables are preserved for out of season use. The medium of pickling is different from country to country and most of the time brine or vinegar is used. In India, oil and spices are the main ingredients of pickles and that's why Indian pickles taste different than others. Indian pickles are generally served with rice or roti as a side dish.
Carrot is a root vegetable with a great source of Vitamin A. Carrot is a versatile vegetable in Indian cuisine as various delicious recipes can be prepared from main course, sides and sweets. Carrot pickle is a special carrot recipe which I love to enjoy with roti or Indian bread.
Indian Style Carrot Pickle
📎Course : Pickle
📎Cuisine : Indian
- 2 cups of grated carrot
- 3 tbsp pickle masala*
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup mustard oil
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
Pickle masala is a mixture of different Indian spices which is used in making pickle. Ready-made pickle masala is available in the market and sometimes I use it in making pickles. But it is preferred to use home made for better flavour. The ingredients for making pickle masala are :
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp Fennel seeds
- 2 Dry red chilies
- 1/2 tbsp Hing or Asafoetida
Process of making Pickle Masala :
- For making pickle masala dry roast all the ingredients till fragrant .
- Now let all the ingredients become cool.
- In a blender blend all the ingredients.
- Keep it in an airtight container.
METHOD OF MAKING CARROT PICKLE:
- Heat oil in a pan. Remove from heat and keep it aside to cool down.
- In a large bowl take the grated carrots and all the other ingredients except vinegar and mix well.
- Pour the oil into the bowl and mix well.
- Now add vinegar and mix well.
- Now transfer everything in a glass bottle.
- Keep the bottles under sun for 1 week till the carrots melt .
- Now the carrot pickle is ready to serve.
- You can preserve it for longer periods but make sure your glass container is air tight. Give the pickle bottle under sun once or twice in a month and shake the bottle sometimes so that the oil in the pickle touches all the ingredients well.
Hope you enjoy the recipe and please let me know how you like it by giving a comment.