Pumpkin flowers are edible and we can make tasty fritters which can be served as starter or as a side dish with steamed rice.
Beside good taste pumpkin flowers are good sources of vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
Pumpkin Flower fritters
- Pumpkin flowers (10)
- Oil to fry
For batter :
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 2-3 tbsp rice powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds (Kala jeera)
- salt to taste
- Wash pumpkin flowers under running water. Cut the stems of the flowers and carefully take the stamen out.
- In a bowl add chickpea flour, rice powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli, salt and water. Mix it well to make a fine batter.
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat oil. Dip pumpkin flowers into the batter and place them in oil. Cook it in medium heat until the bottom edges start to turn golden brown. Turn it over and cook until the other side turns golden brown.
- Serve pumpkin flower fritters hot.