Star fruitis also known as Carambola. It is yellow in colour and have five angle in shape. Star fruit is sweet as well as sour in taste and is very rich in Vitamin C. The star fruit tree is a small bushy tree. We too have a star fruit tree at our home. In Assamese we called it 'Kordoi' .
STAR FRUIT PICKLE
📎Course : Pickle
📎Cuisine : Indian
- 6-8 mature ripen star fruits
- 1/2 tsp split yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt as required
- mustard oil as required
- Rinse and wipe dry star fruits
- Dice star fruits discard the seeds.
- Mix salt. Keep under sun for drying for 2 days.
- Dry roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds , fennel seeds and nigella seeds on medium heat till fragrant. Let it cool. Grind together.
- Mix this spice mixture with sun-dried star fruit dices. Add red chilli powder. Mix well so that the spices get evenly coated on star fruit dices.
- Heat mustard oil . Let it cool.
- In a glass bottle take the diced star fruit pieces. Pour the mustard oil till it covers star fruit pieces or up to 1/2 inch above the the star fruit dices.
- Mix well and cover the bottle tightly.
- Store in a dry place for 3-4 days.
- Now the star fruit pickle is ready to serve. Serve with rice or roti.