Rupohi Thekera is a wonder fruit of Assam. It's scientific name is Garcinia lanceifolia Roxb. Rupohi Thekera plant is a short and bushy tree. The unripen fruits are green in colour. The ripen fruits resembles the shape of tomatoes and shiny red in colour . The taste of rupohi thekera is sour but it looks very beautiful. So the Assamese name "rupohi"- which means beautiful, originates from the beauty of this fruit.
RUPOHI THEKERA PICKLE:
📎Course : Pickle
📎Cuisine : Indian
- 10-15 mature ripen rupohi thekera
- 1/2 tbsp split yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tbsp nigella seeds
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- salt as required
- mustard oil as required
- Rinse and wipe dry rupohi thekera
- Dice rupohi thekera discard the middle portion.
- Mix salt. Keep under sun for drying for 2 days.
- Roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds ,fennel seeds and nigella seeds on medium heat. Grind together.
- Mix this spice mixture with sun-dried rupohi thekera dices. Add red chilli powder. Mix well so that the spices get evenly coated on thekera pieces.
- Heat mustard oil. Let it cool.
- In a glass bottle take the diced rupohi thekera. Pour the mustard oil till it covers the thekera pieces or up to 1/2 inch above the thekera.
- Mix well and cover the bottle tightly.
- Store in a dry place for 3-4 days.
- Now the rupohi thekera pickle is ready to serve. Serve with rice or roti.