This Papaya Chutney is a very simple chutney made from simple ingredients, served as a side dish with rice or roti . Papaya is a very healthy choice that can be cooked as a vegetable and can also be consumed raw as a fruit. Here in this recipe I am using raw or green papaya. As it's a sweet chutney, it can also be served as a dessert.
• 1 raw or green papaya
•2 cup sugar
• small piece of jaggery (gur)
•2 tsp vegetable oil
•3/4 dry whole red chillies
•1/2 tbsp nigella seeds (kala jeers)
• 1 bay leaf (tejpat)
• 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
• 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds powder
• 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds powder
• 1/2 tbsp red chilli powder
•1 tbsp vinegar
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
•1/2 cup raisins (kismis)
•10-12 cheery chopped
1. Peel off the skin of papaya and remove it's seeds.
2. In a pressure cooker take two cups of water. Add papaya pieces. Close cooker and cook for 2-3 whistles
3. Remove cooker from heat. Allow to cool.
4. Open cooker . Drain and take the boiled papaya pieces in a bowl. Mash it completely.
5. In a pan, heat oil. Add dry chillies, bay leaf and nigella seeds. When crackling, pour mashed papaya.
6. Cook until oil separates.
7. Add turmeric powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander seeds powder and red chilli powder. Mix well
8. Add sugar and jaggery. Cook until sugar and jaggery melts.
9. Add lemon juice.
10. Add raisins and cheery . Add vinegar.
Cook till oil separates , stirring constantly.
Now papaya chutney is ready to serve.